The tutorial video below covers the same topics as this article.
The CAPTCHA Requests report gives you an overview of CAPTCHA activity related to your site, including the number of times CAPTCHA pages were solved, failed, or not attempted. This report helps you to determine how effective CAPTCHA pages are as litmus tests in relation to letting human users in and blocking out malicious bots.
Typically, solved CAPTCHA forms are a sign of human users that venture outside of “normal” user behavior for your site. They solve the CAPTCHA and move along to your site without further blocks or issues. Failed and unattempted CAPTCHA forms generally signify a malicious bot (or automated browser) that 1) behaves beyond “normal” user behavior, 2) receives the CAPTCHA, and 3) is either unable to complete the form or ditches the effort and moves to another site or page.
CAPTCHA forms aren’t always the answer. They can be defeated by malicious bots and can lead to poor user experience and lost leads.
In light of this, Distil serves CAPTCHA pages according to your Content Protection settings, which you can modify at any time in the Distil Portal.
Accessing the CAPTCHA Requests Report
Follow these steps to access the CAPTCHA Requests report:
- Log in to the Distil Networks Portal to access the Domains dashboard.
- Select a domain.
- Click Reports on the banner menu.
- Click Traffic Overview to expand the Reports dropdown menu.
- Click CAPTCHA Requests.
Reviewing the CAPTCHA Requests Report
The CAPTCHA Requests report shows a snapshot of CAPTCHA activity surrounding your site, including:
- Date Filter – Specific date range highlighted by the CAPTCHA Requests report.
- Total Traffic vs CAPTCHA Served – Total requests to access your site compared with number of times a CAPTCHA page was served.
- Attempts Solved vs Failed – Breakdown of all CAPTCHA attempts, including solved, failed, and no attempt made.
- Daily CAPTCHA Requests – Graphical breakdown of total traffic versus CAPTCHAs served, solved, and failed.