Before you onboard with Distil, it's important that you whitelist all your uptime and performance monitoring services. This prevents Distil from erroneously identifying your monitoring services as bad bots and blocking them. For example, many Distil customers use the Pingdom application monitoring service with their site. We do not whitelist Pingdom by default.
Either of two options let you whitelist Pingdom, a custom HTTP header or an IP whitelist.
NOTE: Distil prefers the custom HTTP header method, since Pingdom might use new IP addresses in the future. If Pingdom makes automated requests from IPs that are not whitelisted, then Distil takes the action defined in the Distil Portal.
Custom HTTP Header
To whitelist Pingdom using a custom HTTP header:
- Contact Distil Support to obtain your account's whitelist HTTP header token.
- Log in to your Pingdom account.
- Select your site monitor.
- Select the Optional tab.
- Click Add Header.
- Enter your whitelist token (from step 1) in the x-distil-secure field.
- Click Save.
Whitelisting Pingdom IPs
Take the following steps to whitelist Pingdom via IP. Note that they vary depending on whether or not you have migrated your domain to the Apollo version of Distil.
Whitelisting IPs for Apollo Domains
Follow the steps below if you have migrated your domain to the Apollo version of Distil.
- Log in to the Distil Networks Portal.
- Click Access Control Lists in the banner menu.
- Click Create a New ACL to create a new access control list.
- Select the ASSOCIATED RULES tab.
Alternately, select an existing ACL and modify the associated rules.
- Select IP Address from the Rule Type: dropdown menu.
- Enter Pingdom’s IP addresses into the IP Addresses field (refer to steps a – c):
a. Follow Pingdom's instructions to find the list of Pingdom probe server IP addresses.
b. Copy the Pingdom probe server IPs list.
c. Paste the IPs list into the IP Addresses: field.
NOTE: The IP addresses shown above are examples. Refer to Pingdom’s site for a full list of current addresses.
- Set Access Rights: to Whitelist.
- Enter any relevant notes (e.g., “Pingdom IPs”) in the Note: field.
- Click Save Rule(s) .
- Add your domains to the Associated Paths tab.
Whitelisting IPs for Classic Domains
- Log in to the Distil Networks Portal to access the Domains dashboard.
- Select the domain for which you want to whitelist Pingdom.
- Click Settings in the banner menu.
- Click IP access list under the Protect your content heading.
- Click Add IP Address.
- Follow Pingdom's instructions to find the list of Pingdom probe server IP addresses.
- Copy the Pingdom probe server IPs list.
- Paste the list in the IP Addresses field within the Add New Ip Addresses box.
NOTE: The IP addresses shown above are examples. Refer to Pingdom’s site for a full list of current IP addresses.
- Set Access Rights to Allow.
- Click Submit.