Migrating to Distil requires changing two DNS records. Your www.website.com address and website.com root domain. The summary of the changes are as follows:
- www.website.com updated to point to a CNAME
- website.com updated to point to a A Record
Updating www.website.com to point to a CNAME
- Log in to the control panel, https://www.1and1.com/login
- Click Domains link from the Domains & Webspace Panel
- Check the box next to the www.website.com domain to select it. Then click the DNS button and select Show DNS Settings.
- Click the Edit button next to Name Server Settings.
- Select the CNAME option. Enter the CNAME address in the alias text box. This is usually www.website.com.distil.us. Check the box to acknowledge that you are aware all current DNS settings will be disabled by using a CNAME instead. Click OK.
Updating website.com to point to an A Record
- See steps 1 through 4 above.
- Enter the IP of the root domain server assigned to you through Distil's portal.